With friends all over the country and some in Europe, one of my favourite things about the festive season is hosting them all once they return home for Christmas. It’s Ada’s birthday in December, too, so over the years I’ve put together hosting ideas I like to stick to.
For me, the perfect evening-in is all about the atmosphere. Good food, but nothing overly-complicated, nice drinks, and the sound of laughter with close friends. It’s about simple touches that make people feel at home, and ready to have a fun, relaxing evening.
Today I’ve teamed up with LSA International, who kindly provided me with a few pieces from the Tatra collection. I’ve set the table with a simple, grey linen table runner, which lets the truly special glassware take centre stage. Although inspired by the folk traditions of woodworking, the champagne flutes give me an art deco feel. The perfect touch of glamour for a special evening. The glass vase and ash base help to create a beautiful centrepiece, and could be used for a full bouquet or simple sprigs of eucalyptus.
Neither Kane or I are big drinkers so we’ve always got a well stocked bar. And I’m lucky that most of my friends are vegan, or vegetarian, so I can throw together some easy snacks and nibbles for them to tuck into.
Here’s my tips for throwing a simple, stress-free get together:
- Think about lighting to create a wonderful ambience. The festive season means you can go all out with fairy lights, otherwise consider using variety of candles dotted around the room.
- Prepare what you know. If you feel like creating a really special meal then I’d advise testing it out beforehand. Anything unknown could add un-needed stress on the day.
- Set the table with flowers. The LSA International vase is perfect for creating a centrepiece, or smaller vases of little posies could be equally effective.
- Add nibbles to the table for before the meal. As I mentioned earlier, most of my friends are vegan, so something as simple as a bowl of olives, marinated tomatoes, and crackers to accompany them will keep everyone happy.
- Keep your house tidy and organised. If you do feel the need to tidy up as you go along, doing things like emptying the bins and dishwasher before the party will make the process quick and easy.
- Get your bar stocked. I keep my bar open, filled with beer, spirits and soft drinks for people to help themselves to. We’ve also got a cocktail set that Kane loves to use. Espresso martinis are his speciality and they’ve always been greatly received!
- Prepare a playlist ahead of the day. I like to make most of it pretty easy-listening, although some festive, cheery songs are needed too.
- Try to savour it. I’m guilty of sometimes trying to keep on top of cleaning and tidying up, instead of just sitting and enjoying the moment.
There’s nothing that brings people together like a good evening of food, drinks and conversation. I’m lucky that all my friends are easy-going, so not much can ever go wrong. Do you have any tips for entertaining?
If you like the look of these pieces, LSA have kindly offered 20% off all purchases using the code “LSA_TetH827”. Valid until 31st December.
*I was kindly gifted the LSA International items for review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.